Sunday, September 21, 2008

Running on Empty

I never thought I'd face this, but my gas gauge is close to 'E'. I stopped by the gas station by my church and they're out of gas.  I drove a little further down and that gas station was empty.  I went down the whole main stretch of Columbia and all the gas stations were out of gas.  This didn't help turn the red warning light off on my fuel gauge.

It caused me to change my behavior. Instead of zipping down the road at 70 mph (just kidding, it's more like 80 mph) I slowed to 40 to conserve gas. I coasted up to a red light instead of gunning it and stopping 18 inches from the white line. In short, I took my time.

Sometimes in life when we feel like we are going full throttle, we need to change our behavior. We need to slow down, refocus and remind ourselves what's really important in life. We get hung up on the little to-do lists that we forget about people and what really matters.

Slow down.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing how the storms life - or God - throws your away frequently turns out to be just what we needed to cause us to slow down and take stock of what really is important in life (vs. what we THINK is really important).

    ReplyDelete