Thursday, September 18, 2008

Billy Chia

I can't wait for this weekend.  A good buddy of mine from college, Billy Chia, is the Worship Arts Pastor at Chase Valley Community Church in Hunstville, AL.

GOD
This is a total God-thing.  I don't know if Billy remembers this, but we had a common mentor in college named Dan Flynn (that's a whole nother post!).  I re-connected with Billy through Facebook.  We got to talking and found out that we're practically neighbors.  What's even awesomer (yes I typed that...I couldn't help myself) is that we both have a passion to lead churches to connect Christ with those who are searching.

RISK
Billy is taking a bit of a risk and I admire him for that.  He's bring his team into a church they've never been to before (I hope they find it ok!) and leading worship in front of a congregation they've never met before.  In addition to all this, Billy raised up a 2nd team so that he didn't leave his church in a lurch.  Whatta guy.  In the end, I hope that he finds that it's worth the risk and that his team grows in this experience.

I am taking a bit of a risk too.  This is a chance for my church to see how other churches lead worship.  I believe it is good to be exposed to other ways of worshiping.  We Lutherans certainly don't have the corner market on one "right way" to worship.

ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS
I invited Billy and his team for 3 reasons:

1. I wanted to expose my church to another way of worshiping.

2. I wanted to expose my praise team to how another team leads worship, and more importantly, to learn from them.

3. To help the congregation appreciate that our contemporary team is a total God thing. Most churches would kill (ok, maybe not "kill", but certainly "would like to have") an in-house contemporary team.  God has lifted up a drummer, bass, guitars, vocals, and keyboard talent all within our church.  It's great to see how God is working.

Safe travels to Billy and his team.  God's going to do some awesome things.

No comments:

Post a Comment