Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Prayer at City Hall

Last week, I had the opportunity to give the invocation at our local Columbia TN city hall meeting. The mayor was there along with the city lawyer, city manager and various representatives. My theme verse was Philippians 4.4 "Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say: Rejoice!"

I offered a prayer that our city leaders would find joy in their duties and that the constituants they serve would find joy in their elected leaders. Here's what was striking to me: immediately following the invocation, the city couldn't pass the agenda from the previous meeting because a council member felt attacked! There was unresolved tension and disagreement from the previous meeting that carried over.

Here I was talking about having joy and the council was trying to hammer through hurt feelings and going on with the rest of business.

It makes me think about the church and how we can be a place of resolution and hope so that people can experience joy in their service to others. Even for our city leaders.

If you don't already, be sure you're praying for your city leaders and ask God to show you how you might help them see the joy in their duties.

No comments:

Post a Comment