Monday, September 15, 2008

+ Krister Stendahl +

One of my friends shared with me a professor they had at Harvard Divinity School named Krister Stendahl.  He died on April 15, 2008 and was at one time Dean of Harvard Divinity School.  My friend shared with me an article that reprinted his convocation address of September 1984 after serving Harvard for 30 years.  After this speech, he left Harvard to become the Bishop of Stockholm in his native land of Sweden.  Two quotes inspire me:

"Joy is closer to God than seriousness.  Why? Because when I am serious I tend to be self-centered, but when I am joyful I tend to forget myself..."

When we learn about other religious traditions or engage in comparing religions, Stendahl presented the following 3 actions that we should take:

1. Don't compare your best to their worst.  Compare your worst to their best.

2. Talk to the adherents of the religion, not to the enemies.

3. Approach the religion with "holy envy".  What characteristic do you like or admire about that religion and how might you incorporate that in your religious life?

No comments:

Post a Comment