Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Solving any Problem with a Picture

I drive my staff crazy because I'm always drawing pictures during meetings, discussions and while I write out sermons (click here to check out this blog post of Billy Chia; a buddy of mine who thinks through sermons by using pictures).  I have a big whiteboard in my office which I use constantly and I have computer programs that help me mindmap (Freemind, Visio, etc) but two problems:

1. After I sketch my thoughts out on the whiteboard, I can't print it out and have a hard copy of it.  I have to manually copy everything from the whiteboard down to a piece of paper.  I don't have one of those fancy machines that takes a pic of the whiteboard and instantly prints it out.

2. If I use computer programs, the are much slower than my train of thought.  My mind is racing and thinking out loud but the computer programs force me to slow down way too much.  I spend the bulk of my time orienting my thoughts to the program, which inhibits creativity and problem solving.

I finally figured my solution thanks to Dan Roam:

Dan Roam was recently in Las Vegas doing a presentation for Microsoft outlining the basic philosophy of solving any problem using a picture.  Click here to view it.

A tablet laptop and a simple pen and I'm a dangerous man...

No comments:

Post a Comment