Thursday, July 10, 2008

You've Got To Be Kidding Me: "A Gay Man sues Publishers over the Bible"

Heard a news story about a man, Bradley Fowler, who is suing 2 publishing companies, Nelson and Zondervan for publishing the Bible which contains anti-homosexual references. Fowler claims that passages like I Corinthians 6.9 cause the homosexual community to "endure verbal abuse, discrimination, episodes of hate, and physical violence ... including murder."

There are so many levels to comment on. I'll leave my comments on two of them:

1) the guy was denied a court appointed attorney. It's really hard to take his claims seriously if there's not an attorney out there to take up his case.

2) it's one thing to translate the Bible and another thing to apply the Bible. There are so many groups out there that read the same Bible I read and arrive at a totally different application of the same verse. It isn't the publishers duty to apply the Bible for me and to tell me how to treat people. That's my job as I interact with the Bible.


If you're interested, below are the handwritten suites that were filed:

http://religionclause.googlepages.com/Fowler-Nelson-7-08.pdf
http://religionclause.googlepages.com/Fowler-Zondervan-7-08.pdf