Monday, February 11, 2008

Golden Compass II

Talked about The Golden Compass to my congregation yesterday. I think it's important to talk about what is out there in the world and not isolate ourselves from the world even if we don't agree with all the views that are out there. These books/movies are what people are exposing themselves to and it's a great bridge to talk about God, souls, death, etc. Besides, if major religious organization are going to ban a movie and call me a "bad" Christian if I see it, it emboldens me even more to see what all the "hub-bub" is all about.

I'm impressed my larger church body and their approach to this controversial topic. Here are a few links that may help you in discussing this subject:

http://www.lcms.org/pages/internal.asp?NavID=12833
http://www.cph.org/cphstore/pages/resources/compass/


I believe more and more that institutional and organized religion all too often squashes creativity and imagination. Now, I may disagree with Pullman's theology and views about God, but it does force me and stretch my faith. It makes me take a deep look into what I truly believe and how I communicate my beliefs to someone else.